Is your iced tea always turning out bitter? There’s an explanation for that! Brewing tea with hot water releases the tannins from the tea leaves and any tannin-heavy fruits in your blend. Tannins are the biomolecules that give tea its bitter taste. We don’t notice it so much when drinking the tea hot, but the taste can be off-putting in a cold drink. The solution? Brew your iced tea in cold water!
- Loose leaf tea of choice (we used Takes Two to Mango)
- Sweetener, fruit, or other add-ins, as desired
- Scoop approximately one teaspoon of tea per every cup of water you will use into an infuser
- Place the infuser in a pitcher and pour water over the tea, filling the pitcher
- Refrigerate overnight
- Do a taste test, remove tea leaves, add desired add-ins, and enjoy!